Sunday 2 September 2007

Father's Day 2007

Well the kids have had a great day with their Dad for Father's Day.............I don't believe in giving brought presents so they have made things at school and at home..........DS decided Dad was going to have a yabby feast so off we went this morning with the traps to put into the dams (big holes of water in the ground that catch water when it rains)...........went around again this afternoon and have about 35 yabbies .........
......here they are in the bucket..........a couple out on the ground and me holding one (yes I get to do all the horrible work)..........
....they are crustaceans and live in fresh water - when it gets very dry they bury into the mud and don't come out until it rains.........they live for about 4-5 years and this is about as big as we get them..........
Now I am going to cook up the claws and the bodies with some butter, garlic and cheese for me and chilli for DH............. yummy.......... yummy..........

Fairy girl wanted to make something for her Dadda so she made him a heat pack - she picked the material because it has sheep on it and as DH is a sheep farmer there was no way we could change from this............(even if I wanted it for something else)
DH got to chop down more Bougainvillea from this tank stand...............it has not been done for many years and this year it got badly frosted so thought we would get into it...............he has been going at it over a few weeks..............today we had a major go and got most of it down...........it is the most horrible thing to work with as it has very nasty thorns that just reach out and grab you......trying to get at it is also a challenge as the tank is really high............not a safe job............the up side is it blocks the view of this tank and flowers beautifully whether the season is good or bad.............
just have a bit more to chop down on the right but that is nothing compared to what we have cleared away..............

10 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

You can change your blogname into yabbie blue! I love the colour of the fresh crustaceans. I would hate to boil them, though I think I would like to eat them.. I think Daddie will love his heatpack full of sheep! How old is the bougainvillea? I can see from the fence that the tank is really high! Take care removing the remaining parts!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had a great day. So nice to let DH do work on Fathers Day. Don't know about those yabbies for dinner though.

Sweet P said...

Happy Father's Day!

You can keep the blue crustaceans. I don't like to eat anything that lives in the water. Although they are very pretty.

You got some cool presents. Enjoy them all!

~Bren~ said...

Very interesting post! Glad your Fathers Day was fun, and the hand made gift idea is wonderful!

Paula said...

I've not seen or even heard of yabbies before. They sure are an interesting color and I'm sure they are delicious. What a fun meal for Dad, especially with you all catching dinner yourselves.
Happy Fathers Day!

Unknown said...

Oh yum Yabbies, I was drooling as I looked at the photo's. Only an Aussie would understand......lol.. Neat heat pack for dh, and like Fiona said it was so good of you to let your dh work on Father's Day....lol.... Thanks for the trip down memory lane..... Off to dream about a plate filled with yabbies.

Unknown said...

Always something new to see and learn on your blog, thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

Yabbies!!! Now that's one thing you can't get in the city. I have such wonderful memories of yabbying when I was growing up.

Floss said...

Yabbies, yum. I cann't remember the last time I had yabbies.

threecollie said...

The yabbies are such a lovely color...found your blog by way of Joni at My Piece of Heaven and bookmarked it right away!